If you are living with pain, you know how limiting it can be. Chronic pain, or pain lasting for three months or longer, is usually indicative of an underlying condition that needs to be treated. While medication is effective in masking pain in the short term, it won’t provide any relief in the long term.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), non-pharmaceutical pain treatment is actually preferred over pharmaceutical pain treatment, and in most cases, they even do a better job at controlling pain.
If you are looking for a natural and effective method of treatment that will relieve your pain at its root, contact PerformaX Elite today!
How will physical therapy help manage my pain?
Physical therapy is undeniably the best and safest method of pain relief. When you arrive for your initial appointment, your physical therapist will conduct a comprehensive exam to determine your condition and design a treatment plan accordingly.
Treatment plans include targeted stretches and exercises, in addition to any of the following methods:
- Ice and heat therapies to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Manual therapy to decrease inflammation of your internal tissues.
- Ultrasound therapy to enhance blood flow and relax tight muscle fibers through sound waves.
- Electrical muscle stimulation to stimulate your body’s natural painkillers (endorphins) through tiny amounts of electrical current.
Is my pain acute or chronic?
The cause of chronic pain can sometimes be difficult to determine, and it can linger for months or even years before the reason is diagnosed and relief is found.
The cause of acute pain is typically easily determined, especially if it is the result of an automobile accident, a sport or work injury, or a surgical operation. With acute pain, the discomfort generally fades as the affected part of the body heals.
However, chronic pain is a bit different. Chronic pain may be the result of:
- General muscle weakness, due to poor posture or an unbalanced body, that can cause knots or spasms.
- Chronic pain syndromes, such as fibromyalgia, which may affect nerves and muscles.
- Chronic overuse injuries, such as tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Extended lack of use, such as a lengthy recovery period after a procedure, that can cause the affected area to feel stiff or “frozen.”
- Areas of internal scar tissue buildup that can restrict neighboring muscles and connective tissues.
- Degenerative joint conditions, such as osteoarthritis, which produce chronic pain and inflammation.
Modern medicine tends to turn to drugs early and often, in an effort to alleviate pain problems. Unfortunately, this approach doesn’t always work in the long run. The drugs may mute the pain while they’re in your system, but the underlying problem that’s causing the pain remains untreated.
As long as that untreated condition persists, so will your long-term pain – meaning an endless cycle of drugs, pain, and then more drugs. This may force you to use more and more medication as your pain continues to linger, which can become problematic as certain drugs can come with harmful side effects and addictive chemicals.
Schedule a consultation to receive natural pain relief today!
Your treatment plan will address both localized pain and referred pain issues. Physical therapy treats pain where it originates, rather than simply masking the symptoms as painkillers do. Avoid the risk of pain management drugs by contacting PerformaX Elite today – we’ll help you relieve your pain the natural way!
Tags: Physical Therapy, Physical Therapist, Health, Fitness, Exercise, Running, Pain Free, Physical Therapy Services, Ultrasound, Massage Therapy, Manual Therapy, Pain Management, Pain Treatment, Electrical Stimulation, Chronic Pain